Friday, March 02, 2007

Back Home

I have now been back in the states for a week now and I’m trying to recap on the last 7+ months of my life. It’s gone by way too quickly and my automatic response when people ask me “How was your trip to Egypt” is “It was too short.” I wish I could’ve stayed longer but I know that this will give me the drive to go back and visit later in life - especially since I didn’t get a chance to see and do all the things that I wanted to do. My last week seemed rushed and came to an end rather abruptly. I left Dahab to enter into a time when I tried to cram in a lot of visits. For the most part, I was able to see everyone that I wanted to.

The last day/night I spent in Egypt was definitely filled with the presence of a lot of friends. Kait and I walked around Dokki to find some sheesha’s since I was too tired and annoyed of Khan from the previous day. Later Nisrin, Kait and I went to the Cairo Opera House to watch One Thousand and One Nights. Although it was incredibly short and started late, it wasn’t a bad show. I actually got to see some belly dancing that looked half way decent.

Afterwards I headed to Rhea’s for my last party in the country :-( which lasted til about 4am I believe. It was a good time and a great way to go. Went back to Nisrin’s with May and did some final packing. My duration in the airport wasn’t long at all. I think I was only idle for 5 min max. At first I thought my flight home would’ve been a grueling 12 hour flight but considering I hadn’t slept in over 24 hours nor was my audio equipment working to watch all the movies, I slept for the majority of the ride. Plus the flight landed an hour early which I have to say I was highly impressed since the airline was EgyptAir.

Kicked it in NYC for the weekend with one of my closest friends and my sib, Tiffany. Besides walking in some stilettos which ended up causing me great pain, the trip was great. It was a nice transition between Cairo and Chicago. Landed in Chicago almost 2 hours late and was greeted by my dad, mom, step dad, both sisters, my grandmother and her boo. They took me out to dinner and aunt Raven “surprised” me with her presence there. Unfortunately the person who came up with this idea, my uncle Troy, couldn’t make it because of the weather. Did I mention that Chicago has a crap load of snow - it’s actually snowing now and on the brink of a storm!

Since last Friday, I haven’t really done much of anything. Watched a lot of Law & Order thanks to my dad and the DVR. Currently I’m sitting at my moms listening to 4 little kids playing in the basement for my youngest sister’s pseudo birthday sleepover. Only two more days til my road trip begins tho’ that might get postponed if my phone doesn’t show up. I’m cursing the usps right now cause my phone has yet to arrive. And I realized that all but one biological aunt works for them.

I start work in about three weeks following a family trip to Florida and I’ve got a few plans to see friends. Besides that, no real idea what will be happening. And the year of displacement begins…

1 Comments:

Blogger F said...

hahah i love your list above...so true!

Man, I'm kinda surprised you thought 7months wasnt enough...I thought I'd be more than tired of Cairo by approximately....June! But maybe not, judging from your experience. Anyway since you're coming back, I take it your coming back in February 2008 for my grand ole age of 24th birthday! hehe

Miss you tons chica....Cairo is just not gonna be the same without you :( (but I do expect to see you on gtalk alot!)

Boyboy...and take care! :P :D

4:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home