Saturday, December 30, 2006

2006 Reflection

It’s almost that time of the year when we have to say good-bye to it. It is amazing to me that in only two days it will be 2007. 2006 went so fast. There were times when it seemed like it would never come to an end; but here I sit reflecting on this past year, the good and the bad. I can’t even think of a word to describe all the things that happened this year.

This time last year was actually quite stressful. And probably caused a domino affect on how things turned out for me this year. If you were at WSC in Dayton, you know how crazy things were. It wasn’t the best way to start of the New Year. But yet, I got through it and luckily didn’t go insane by May.

2006 marked a lot of milestones for me.

  • This year I entered my third semester as LCP and third year in AIESEC.
  • It was the year green became my favorite color ;)
  • I got a reality check on a few of my friendships and relationships.
  • I got over some heartache but then drama decided to resurface itself back into my life, yay – oh how I love sarcasm.
  • I went to a ball
  • I graduated in FOUR years from Miami University and owe not a cent to the school but…I still have loans :(
  • I moved out of #25; a place I called home for 2 years with two great friends.
  • I had to leave my friends, um correction family, of four years
  • I had dinner with my two dads.
  • I got a new car :)
  • I left the country for the first time ever, and did it on my own (the physical part, not the financial – thx fam!)
  • I went more than a week without watching my soaps – been watching Y&R for 11 years, so this was a hard thing
  • I was reunited with Nisrin – still amazes me that we both ended up in Egypt together, AND live across the street from each other
    I’ve met and befriended people from every continent
  • Was able to see some old friends
  • I saw the Pyramids of Giza & the Sphinx
  • I walked along the Mediterranean & Red Sea
  • I got an awesome buddy, friend & coworker :)
  • I camped in the desert – soooo not a thing I would normally do
  • I lived in my first apartment by myself – but it was only for a week!
  • I learned to say “Ana Amrekeya. Ana mean Chicago.”
  • I learned to cross the street in Egypt
  • I moved 4 times in 5 months
  • I moved in with the best roomie
  • I’ve gained an international perspective
And this is just what I can think of off the top of my head. This year was an absolute rollercoaster from beginning to end. It started off crazy and I have a feeling it will end that way. I owe a lot of thanx to many people who supported me and were there for me through thick and thin. Too many people to name but you know who you are.

So with NYE being less than 48 hours away, I can’t help but reflect on all the things I accomplished and still strive to achieve.

I was supposed to fly home in three days but extended my time here. And I’m happy I did for many reasons. I think in a way the thought of ’07 kinda scares me. This is the year of the unknown for me. I’ve accomplished everything I’ve wanted to do up until this point. I graduated when I wanted to (summer school was worth it now that I looked back). I made my goal of coming to Egypt – something I decided on two years ago btw – a reality. The next thing on my list is grad school but that won’t start becoming a reality for another 3 years. I basically know what’s in store for me until April. Maybe my week in Disney with the fam will get me prepared and energized for the unexpected. Here’s to 2007…Out with the old and in with the new ;)












0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home